Who Are We?
We advocate for excellence in services for the public, dignity in the workplace, and opportunity and prosperity for all workers.
- We believe that there is dignity in all work, and there should be dignity for all workers.
- We build power for all working families.
- We all do better when we all do better!
- We advance and defend the common good.
- We are leaders in building a movement for social and economic justice.
- We treat each other with respect and compassion.
- We value pride, passion, excellence, integrity and courage in all the work we do.
- We practice solidarity and member involvement.
- What we do away from the negotiating table is more important than what we do at the table.
Our path to success
Grow Membership: Organizing is the lifeblood of the labor movement. Robust unions like ours have helped Minnesota become a high-wage, high-skill state where the profits of labor are fairly shared. Those strong economic roots are why we enjoy a higher standard of living and stronger economic growth than most states. It's why we're healthier, better educated, and poised for a promising future.
Mobilize Members: Workers who came before us marched, went on strike and even gave their lives in the struggles that won the weekend, safe working conditions, secure retirement benefits and the right to a voice on the job. To protect those hard-earned gains, we build strong local unions that mobilize their members and take action. Together we can build power to get the pay, benefits and respect we deserve.
Take Political Action: Better politics means better budgets and better contracts. It's all about protecting our jobs, our retirement and the public services Minnesota needs. We never surrender at the Capitol or the ballot box. Our tenacity has made us the most politically active union in Minnesota.
Build Public Support: We project a bold, proud image of AFSCME. Our identity builds member pride and loyalty and it attracts new members. We reach politicians, allies and reporters with a powerful message of who we are and what we're fighting to protect. Our side of the story gets attention on the news.